Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Who are you?

Many people in today's society are afraid to show their "true colors". People today can be harsh and judgmental. Time and time again I see my fellow peers try to pretend to be someone that everyone will like. I ask them why? Why should people care about what others think of them? I understand that most people want to be liked by their peers and have relationships with people, but is it really worth it if you have to pretend to be someone you're not? Do you really want to be friends with these people if you think they aren't going to like you for who you are? People should not be judged on race, gender, or sexual preference.

The latter is what upsets me the most. To see people be afraid to express their sexuality because they are worried about what other people will think. One of my really good guy friends from my high school is gay. When he first told me, he said he was scared of what I would think. He said he was afraid that I wouldn't want to be friends with him anymore. Of course I would still be friends with him. No matter if he was gay or straight he would always be one of my good friends. It was sad to see that some people that he was friends with stopped talking to him because he told them that he was gay. It really upsets me that people refuse to accept people for who they are. Just because they are gay doesn't mean they aren't the same person you were friends with yesterday. It's just really frustrating to me to see people be so close minded. Homosexuals are people too. They like others of the same sex, so what? It doesn't by any means suggest that they are bad people. I think a lot of people just aren't willing to accept that society is changing. At some point we have to though.

3 comments:

  1. I was probably going to present this for our blog group thing if you don't mind. For my personal one I doing the one I wrote about how you carry yourself through life. Just to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright that's fine. I'm not sure which of mine I'm going to present yet. Do you know what Johnny's doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I do not know what Johnny is doing, sorry.

    ReplyDelete