Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Body and the Media

The body is seen as a part of your identity. In our culture, as shown through various advertisements and other forms of media, the bodies of men and women are used to sell their product or to get a point across. Women and men are seen as just a body not as their full self. Like in the Axe ads the women are attracted to the men because of the way they look and smell not to the actual men. People are obsessed with their weight and how they look and forget to think about how they act and portray themselves. I think the media puts the image of what you should look like and that's all people care about. They are concerned with how other people see them. Its sad to see people obsess with that when there is so much more to you than the way you look. While I do see the body as part of your identity, I don't think that it is that significant. I believe that it doesn't really matter what you look like. What counts is the kind of person you are, how you act around and treat other people, and your personality. I think our society today has lost that. I believe that the media affects people's view of themselves and its not always in a positive way. I don't think people should focus on what the media says or what other people think. I think they should be happy with who they are for themselves not for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment